RIVER PATH DEL MAR EXTENSION ANNOUNCEMENT!
SDRVC has raised $128,500 of our $150,000 goal!!
Thank you to our most recent contributors!
• Walter J. and Betty C. Zable Foundation $20,000
• Del Mar Foundation $6,000
• Tippett Foundation $20,000
• REI $7,000
Read the Del Mar Times article here.
Check out the City of Del Mar website here.
^ Click-and-drag to view 360º image of area being restored ^
SDRVC has raised $127,500 to match the $150,000 County grant for the River Path Del Mar . On September 16, 2014, San Diego County Third District Supervisor Dave Roberts spearheaded an effort resulting in SDRVC being granted $150,000 of County Neighborhood Reinvestment Funds from the County of San Diego. The purpose of this grant is to fund the design and environmental review needed to build a portion of Del Mar’s River Path from Jimmy Durante Boulevard to the Old Grand Avenue Bridge, providing scenic vistas of the lagoon wetlands, and interpretive information for flora and fauna.
The total project cost is estimated to be approximately $475,000. This cost includes project design, entitlements and easement acquisition, environmental review and mitigation, and construction. Currently, 50% has been committed through a $150,000 grant provided by San Diego County District 3 Supervisor Dave Roberts office; $101,500 in private donations received by the Conservancy; $20,000 in direct funding provided by the City; and $10,000 via the Riverview Development Agreement.
As of May 2015, the current funding gap is approximately $188,000. The balance will be secured by the City of Del Mar and SDRVC through a combination of City funds, grants, mitigation funds and private donations.
The River Path Del Mar provides a scenic overlook of the San Dieguito Lagoon and River, complete with interpretive signage of the flora and fauna of the River and Lagoon. The existing trail goes from Jimmy Durante Blvd westwards to the coast and parallels the south edge of the River, providing beautiful water views and information regarding this important wetland and natural resource. Parking is currently provided for trail access at a lot immediately east of the City's Public Works yard.
The proposed path extension will continue along the east side of Jimmy Durante Boulevard to the Old Grande Avenue Bridge. The City has secured the long-term lease of a parcel from the North County Transit District at the corner of Jimmy Durante Boulevard and San Dieguito Drive specifically for the purpose of providing parking for the River Path Del Mar extension. The City of Del Mar has been working in partnership with the San Dieguito River Valley Regional Open Space Park Joint Powers Authority (SDRPJPA) and SDRVC on the development of the trail. The trail will be a boon to nature tourism and will be an additional feature for hikers of the Coast to Crest trail to enjoy.
It is estimated that 50-100 people per day will visit the trail extension during the off season, with higher numbers anticipated when the Fair and races are in session in the nearby Fairgrounds. The City owns several of the parcels in which the proposed path will travel, and the majority of the remainder parcels have been acquired by the SDRVC. To view a preliminary plan for the River Path Extension, click here.
• County of San Diego (Through Third District County Supervisor Dave Roberts) $150,000
• A.C. & Patricia D'Augustine, D'Augustine Family Foundation $30,000.00
• Tippett Foundation $20,000.00
• Walter J. and Betty C. Zable Foundation $20,000.00
• Matthew Jones $10,000.00
• Chris Khoury & Linda Corey $10,000.00
• REI $7,000.00
• Del Mar Foundation $6,000.00
• Keith and Sue Colestock $5,189.25
• Kim Godwin & Tom Wilcox $5,000.00
• Ramona & Max Kiltz-Lifetime Members $2,000.00
• California 10/20 $1,500.00
• Turnkey Operations $1,500.00
• Jeffrey Barnouw $1,000.00
• Peter Shapiro & Kathy Sage $1,000.00
• Tom & Julie Page $1,000.00
• Bill Michalsky $500.00
• Jan and Robert McMillan $500.00
• Diane Martin $500.00
• Dr. Susan & Jurgen Lenz $500.00
• Gary & Maxine Kreitzer $500.00
• Jim & Janie King $500.00
• Dagmar & James Helgager $500.00
• Carol Mann & Alan Vier $500.00
• Dave & Georgette Kreitzer-Lifetime Members $250.00
• Jerry Harmon $250.00
• Kent & Linda Erickson $250.00
• John and Arvie Degenfelder $250.00
• Jim and Cheryl Coffee $250.00
• Karen & Wolf Berger-Lifetime Members $250.00
• Pat & Peter Benson $250.00
• Janet Raschke $200.00
• Thomas & Ellen O'Neil $150.00
• Erik Smith $100.00
• Carl and Karen Winston $100.00
• Warren Fox $100.00
• Douglas Gillingham & Dana Friehauf $100.00
• Mary Ann & James Emerson $100.00
• Robert and Margaret Schneider $100.00
• Robert A Brue $100.00
• Donald Mosier, Del Mar Councilmember $100.00
• Bill Smith & Carol Harter $100.00
• John Terrell $50.00